LID: Day 6, this is a lot of work

Got through the first weekend of the LID, and so far I have to say it’s going pretty well. I haven’t felt hungry or deprived or like I’m eating things that don’t taste good. It’s just … a … lot … of … work. I don’t know how you could do this if you had a job. I know you are supposed to prepare a lot of stuff in advance in freeze it, but that takes time, too.

I’ve got to give my wife a shout-out here. I really could not be doing this without her. At the moment neither one of us is working, so it seems like we spend all day prepping, baking, loading the dishwasher, emptying it, etc. Most days we cook or bake just one new thing, so it’s manageable, but today was a little crazy.

First thing was to bake some more bread. We have borrowed a bread-maker, but the bread comes out better when we use a different recipe. This morning she made the dough, kneaded it, then let it sit for an hour or so, then split it between two pans, then let it sit some more, then put it in the oven. But, oops, she forgot to change the temperature of the oven like the recipe says, so the bread was ruined. Then we made meatballs and burger patties out of the big batch of ground turkey we bought on Wednesday. Then we made pasta sauce. Then we made vinaigrette. The latter two don’t take very long, but still, you go through a lot of dishes that require cleaning. Then, we made the bread again. (Check here to see what I ate today, out of all that.)

That’s a full day. Ran the dishwasher three times and still have dishes left in the sink for tomorrow.

Now, though, we’ve got some stuff stored up. We have two burger patties, one of which will be my dinner tomorrow. We have about four more packs of three meatballs (that’s my daily allotment of meat) that I can use throughout the next two weeks. We also have leftover sauce, which will be for pizza in a few days. We’re freezing one of the loaves of the bread, so the two of them should last the whole week.


Other than all that, I’m still feeling absolutely normal, and it’s been six days without hormones. I’m starting to wonder when it’s going to hit me, or if it is.

I’ve also been doing a lot of research about the RAI, trying to figure what I need to prep in advance for my quarantine. It seems like preventing contamination is not as much trouble as you’d think, because the radiation comes out in my bodily fluids, and it can be cleaned with plain water. Also, another person would have to ingest whatever it was that I got my fluids on. So unless I lick the doorknob and then someone else comes by and licks it, it’ll probably be OK.

I’m still not sure what we’re going to do about dishes: regular vs. disposable. The question is washing regular dishes or disposing paper ones and making radioactive trash. Right now I’m thinking of a hybrid solution: using the disposable plastic dishes. I can still rinse ’em off in the bathroom sink when I’m done, minimizing any radiation on them, but then throw them away.

I also decided I’m just going to use toilet paper and baby wipes as napkins, facial tissue, everything, because they can be flushed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s